Monday, January 29, 2018

Tom Hanks to Play Mister Rogers in Biopic 'You Are My Friend'

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, Hollywood, and America in general: Tom Hanks is set to play beloved children's TV icon Mister Rogers in an upcoming biopic.

Variety has the scoop that Hanks has signed on to star as Fred Rogers in "You Are My Friend," a film that's loosely based on the real-life friendship between Rogers and award-winning journalist Tom Junod. In 1998, Junod wrote a celebrated profile of Rogers for Esquire magazine, inspiring the film's plot.

Here's the logline, per Variety:

" ... a cynical journalist begrudgingly accepts an assignment to write a profile piece on the beloved icon and finds his perspective on life transformed."

In addition to Hanks -- who, as a fellow national treasure, is perfectly cast as Rogers -- the impressive team behind "You Are My Friend" includes director Marielle Heller. Heller, who received rave reviews for her debut feature, 2015's "The Diary of a Teenage Girl," said in a statement that she was "thrilled" to get behind the camera again for "Friend."

"The script knocked me out with its message of kindness and its exploration of the human spirit," her statement said. "As a mother, I am so inspired by the teachings of Fred Rogers and as a human I am in awe of his life's work. I can't wait to bring his story to the public and be a part of such a thoughtful, smart group of people who are all coming together to make this film, which truly feels to me like an antidote to our very fractured culture."

We can't wait, either.

No word yet on when "You Are My Friend" is expected to hit theaters. Stay tuned.

[via: Variety]



from Moviefone News RSS Feed - Moviefone.com http://ift.tt/2BBwdEI
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment