Friday, April 21, 2017

Dean Cain Reveals the Key to Playing a Memorable Superman or Supergirl

US-ENTERTAINMENT-PROMISE-PREMIERETwenty years after he took of the red cape, Dean Cain is still feeling pretty super.

After enjoying a four season run playing the Man of Steel and his journalistic alter ego on "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman," Cain has made a triumphant return to the iconic DC Comics superhero's world -- but not in Metropolis. Instead he's been on the scene in National City, the home base of "Supergirl," where he plays Kara Danvers's adoptive Earth father, Jeremiah, a DEO scientist recently freed after 15 years of forced service to the villainous Project Cadmus.

The actor, who's also recently appeared on VH-1's cheerleading drama "Hit the Floor," chats with Moviefone about reconnecting with his Super-roots, the key factor in playing a Kryptonian crusader, and the possibility of an on-screen and on-set reunion with his "Lois & Clark" co-star Teri Hatcher now that she, too, has found her way into the "Supergirl" universe.

Moviefone: How's the "Supergirl" experience been going? That must be a little blast from the past for you.

Dean Cain: Yeah, it's great fun. I love the whole world, that whole Super-world, if you will. So I'm proud to have been a part of it. I don't try to hide from that or have a problem acknowledging that I played Superman, so I embrace it. I think it's great. A lot of us are doing that. Teri Hatcher is on the show now, and Helen Slater.

I like the way they've done it. I think they've been very, very welcoming to everybody. That starts with the producers, and those guys are making those decisions. I think they're making good decisions. It's a lot of fun to be a part of that world, and I'll embrace it until I play Supergirl's grandfather.

Have you shared a scene with Teri yet?

I have not had a scene with Teri on camera. Nothing has aired.

Have you at least had some time to hang out on set?

I can't say anything about that!! I'm not allowed to talk about any of that sort of stuff. But if we're up there at the same time shooting, we will hang out together, of course.LOIS CLARK THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMANWhat's cool about seeing how they do it now, as opposed to the way you did it when you were doing the "Lois & Clark"?

They've got much better special effects, but not much has changed. They're working 18-hour days. It's a slog. It's a long, hard day, every single day for those guys. They have a lot more characters than we had, so they have a little bit of a break.

Because there's four different shows shooting up there -- "DC's Legends of Tomorrow," "Flash," "Arrow," and "Supergirl," all under the [Greg] Berlanti umbrella -- it's a lot of crossover, and they have four, five, six units sometimes working. "Supergirl" has three units, and they're shooting things out of order. That gets difficult. It gets difficult on the cast and the production. That part's hard. They've done a great job.

Were you surprised at what a juicy character they wrote for you? You got to play Jeremiah right down the middle. We didn't know if he's really good or bad.

Yeah. I still wonder. I assume he's good. I'm glad, it's a lot of fun. It's a lot of fun. I got to beat up Cyborg Superman. How great was that? Then, of course he got his revenge. But it's a lot of fun. I enjoy it, and like I said, I embrace the heck out of it.

There's a certain quality that you actors who have played Superman or Supergirl, you have to have. What do you see in Melissa Benoist's portrayal of Supergirl that is exactly what that character needs?

Kindness. First and foremost, it's kindness. You're the most powerful being on Earth, or one of the most powerful beings on Earth, and you have to have a kindness, an ability to relate to everyone, and that's what Superman or Supergirl does.

They say the "S" means "hope," and that's a great thing, but Superman is always kind. Obviously, if he's fighting a foe, he'll fight him until he's got him beat, but then he would pick him up. It's been tougher with the latest incarnations, but I think kindness is about the most important thing.

What's been fun about having that devoted Super fanbase?

That's great. That's fantastic. If you have loyal fans for anything, it's a fantastic feeling. If people will support other projects I do because of that, awesome -- that's awesome! I'll hug them back.



from Moviefone News RSS Feed - Moviefone.com http://ift.tt/2pKR5Vp
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment