Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Is a 'Joe Dirt' Sequel in the Works? Sort Of.

joe dirt sequel

When their participants are on point, Reddit AMAs can be hilarious and insightful, gut-wrenching, awesome, or freaky. David Spade did an AMA this morning, and he was surprisingly game to discuss anything from the Razzie Awards to skateboarding accidents and the late Chris Farley. Also, that "a lot of people have sweaty hands, and when they come up to me it's like shaking hands with a sham-wow."



What seemed to get him talking the most was "Joe Dirt," the 2001 movie about a radio station janitor whose life stories mesmerize audiences and turn him into a star. "Joe Dirt" played on some rather tasteless class tropes, not the least of which was Spade's majestic mullet wig. In any case, one Redditor asked about a possible sequel, which Spade was all too eager to discuss.



"We wrote a sequel, and we may wind up doing it on Crackle.com, because they want to be the first web address to do a sequel to a movie. Because Sony owns them, and it's a Sony movie. We're trying to find a way to make it for the budget, but we really want to do it. And keep it good."



Spade added, "I would ask Christopher Walken and Kid Rock to be in it again. And to take less money, if at all possible, than the amount they took the first time." Well, sure. Why not?



The real question is what happened to Joe's magnificent mullet. Spade revealed, "The Joe Dirt wig was itchy. And one time, I walked away from the set at a TV studio when we were doing some Dennis Miller stuff, and I got lost, and I had my janitor's uniform on, and the security guard wouldn't let me back into where I was supposed to go, and I didn't have a cell phone, so I had to sit there for 15 minutes until some PA came to look for me, and I had to explain to them that I was dressed as a janitor with a wig on, and that was an actual story, that sounds fake but it was funny to me. Long story short: I loved the wig, I thought it was hilarious, it was hard to wear all summer but it cracks me up. I think it's in some vault somewhere in the Smithsonian right now, surrounded by guards."



"Joe Dirt 2: Night at the Smithsonian"?



And what about all those Razzies? Well, Spade has a pretty zen attitude about them. "I think they go after Adam a lot on purpose, to try to drum up some attention, like Jack & Jill nominating him for actor & actress, that's like a mean trick by the Razzies to try to get more press for their own organization. But most of my favorite people have won Razzies, so I'm not that worried about it."



[Via Filmdrunk]





from The Moviefone Blog http://ift.tt/1heQe3d

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment