Monday, November 23, 2015

Krysten Ritter Thought the 'Jessica Jones' Pitch Was 'Terrible'

MARVEL’S JESSICA JONESExcitement for Netflix's new Marvel series "Jessica Jones" has reached a fever pitch, with the series finally, officially making its streaming debut today. Krysten Ritter, who plays the titular star, seems perfect for the part, but according to the actress, she initially wasn't thrilled with the pitch for the show.

In an interview with Vulture, Ritter described the "Jessica" audition process, and said that from the way her manager described the series, it sounded less than promising.

"The first pitch from my manager was terrible," Ritter recalled to Vulture. "I got a call, you know, 'Netflix wants to see you for this show, it's Marvel, it's a superhero show.' And I like to audition, so I was like, 'Okay, I'll go, but I'm never gonna get that.' My manager was like, 'No, no — it's not your typical superhero show. Your character's really bad at it.' I was like, 'Okay, uhh, what does that mean? Is it, like, slapstick? What is that?' So at first I didn't know what to expect, but it didn't sound very good."

Of course, the "your character's really bad at it" part was putting things a bit simply (Jessica is a former hero who's turned her back on her abilities after some scarring experiences), and once Ritter saw the script, she quickly realized that the series was a different breed of superhero show.

"It wasn't until I got the super-secretive encrypted material that I realized, 'Oh, wow, this is really interesting! It's really dark!,'" Ritter told Vulture. " ... This is a thriller first and superhero show second. And at the end of the meeting, they also said, 'Oh, and she needs to be funny.' And that's when I think they really got me. That's when I got obsessed. At that point, I got cocky and was like, 'Oh, she has to be funny? Come on, who else are you gonna get?'"

Looks like "Jones" landed the right Jessica for the job. We can't wait to see her in action. "Jessica Jones" is streaming now on Netflix.

[via: Vulture]

Photo credit: MYLES ARONOWITZ/NETFLIX

%Slideshow-305415%

from Moviefone News RSS Feed - Moviefone.com http://ift.tt/1N9TTCO
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment