Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Mark Hamill Regrets Publicly Criticizing Rian Johnson's Vision for Luke in 'The Last Jedi'

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' - PhotocallLuke Skywalker is using The Force to backpedal.

Mark Hamill has gone on the record, in repeated interviews, to reveal how "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" writer/director Rian Johnson's storyline for Luke didn't quite mesh with the Luke he was used to from George Lucas' films. Hamill even said, in one interview (see video below), "I almost had to think of Luke as another character. Maybe he's Jake Skywalker. He's not my Luke Skywalker." Ouch.

He seems to regret putting that out into the galaxy. Hamill says he ultimately decided, after seeing the movie, that he was wrong and Rian was right.

Here's what he tweeted in response to a fan's collection of quotes showing Hamill's acceptance of the new Luke:


The quotes referenced in the fan tweet are from an IMDb interview where Hamill revealed his conflicted emotions on "The Last Jedi" story for Luke:

"I've had trouble accepting what [Rian] saw for Luke but again, I mean, I have to say, having seen the movie, I was wrong. ... I think the world of Rian Johnson. I said to him 'I totally disagree with what you think about Luke.' ... Luke says 'It's time for the Jedi to end.' Huh? [...] I think being pushed out of your comfort zone is a good thing because if I were just another benevolent Jedi training young padawans, we've seen it, and nobody can do it better than Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan). And I shouldn't even try. It's not the Luke from the original triology, it's the Luke from the new generation."

Hamill's previous "he's not my Luke Skywalker" comments were made to the Spanish outlet SensaCine, where he also added, "I still haven't accepted it completely, but it's only a movie. I hope people like it. I hope they don't get upset. And I came to really believe that Rian was the exact man that they needed for this job." Now he is #HumbledHamill. Do you believe he really thinks "The Last Jedi" was great, and Rian made the right call, or does he just regret being honest in public?

Want more stuff like this? Like us on Facebook.



from Moviefone News RSS Feed - Moviefone.com http://ift.tt/2CcJzvr
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment