Monday, June 26, 2017

Netflix Cancels 'Girlboss' After One Season, Sophia Amoruso Reacts

It used to be rare for Netflix to cancel series, now it's on a savage tear. After canceling "The Get Down" after one season, and "Sense8" after two, the streaming service just made it a hat trick with "Girlboss."

Variety confirmed the news, first shared on Instagram by Sophia Amoruso, played by Britt Robertson in the one-and-only season, which was based on Amoruso's best-selling memoir "#GIRLBOSS" about the founding of her Nasty Gal fashion brand.

Here's what Amoruso had posted (you can see screen grabs at HollywoodLife):

"So that Netflix series about my life got canceled. While I'm proud of the work we did, I'm looking forward to controlling my narrative from here on out. It was a good show, and I was privileged to work with incredible talent, but living my life as a caricature was hard even if only for two months. Yes, I can be difficult. No, I'm not a dick. No, someone named Shane never cheated on me. It will be nice to someday tell the story of what's happened in the last few years. Ppl read the headline, not the correction, I've learned."

FYI, she did not like that HollywoodLife deemed her statements to be "shade" at Netflix, 'cause she followed up with this:

"Girlboss" streamed as a comedy, with all 13 episodes posting April 21.

Earlier this month, Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos addressed the reasons for cancelling "The Get Down" and "Sense8":

"Relative to what you spent, are people watching it? That is pretty traditional. When I say that, a big expensive show for a huge audience is great. A big, expensive show for a tiny audience is hard even in our model to make that work very long."

This spate of cancellations just shows that even Netflix is not immune to the instant success-or-failure meter that plagues TV. If fans don't show up right away, in large numbers, you may not get a chance to build an audience or finish the story you intended to tell.

Want more stuff like this? Like us on Facebook.



from Moviefone News RSS Feed - Moviefone.com http://ift.tt/2sTdtO6
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment