Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Daniel Day-Lewis Opens Up About Retirement From Acting

Arthur Miller - One Night 100 Years BenefitDaniel Day-Lewis doesn't intend to see his last film performance.

The three-time Oscar winner announced in June that he would retire from acting after "Phantom Thread," which re-teamed him with "There Will Be Blood" director Paul Thomas Anderson. Now, in an interview with W magazine, Day-Lewis commented for the first time on his retirement.

"I haven't figured it out," he revealed of his decision. "But it's settled on me, and it's just there."

Day-Lewis has flirted with quitting acting before, but it seems this experience was the final nail in the coffin.

"Before making the film, I didn't know I was going to stop acting," he explained. "I do know that Paul and I laughed a lot before we made the movie. And then we stopped laughing because we were both overwhelmed by a sense of sadness. That took us by surprise: We didn't realize what we had given birth to. It was hard to live with. And still is."

In "Phantom Thread," Day-Lewis stars as a fashion designer who engages in a tumultuous relationship with his muse. The actor hasn't seen the movie — and doesn't ever plan to.

"Not wanting to see the film is connected to the decision I've made to stop working as an actor," he said. "But it's not why the sadness came to stay. That happened during the telling of the story, and I don't really know why."

Day-Lewis acknowledged it was "uncharacteristic" for him to make the public announcement of his retirement, "but I did want to draw a line. I didn't want to get sucked back into another project," he said.

"All my life, I've mouthed off about how I should stop acting, and I don't know why it was different this time, but the impulse to quit took root in me, and that became a compulsion. It was something I had to do."

"Phantom Thread" opens in theaters December 25.



from Moviefone News RSS Feed - Moviefone.com http://ift.tt/2ndHXv9
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment