Thursday, November 30, 2017

Matt Lauer Addresses His NBC Firing: 'There Are No Words to Express My Sorrow'

The Rolling Stones celebrate the North American debut of Exhibitionism at Industria in the West Village - ArrivalsThe Matt Lauer era at NBC came to an abrupt end on Wednesday, and now the former "Today" anchor is speaking out.

Lauer issued a lengthy statement Thursday, addressing the alleged inappropriate sexual behavior that led to his firing. While Lauer wrote that not all of the claims are true, he did apologize for some past misdeeds. He also spoke of his sadness and remorse for the damage that he inflicted on "the people [he] hurt," including his family and NBC. Moving forward, he said that "repairing the damage" is now his full-time job.

Lauer's full statement reads:

There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry. As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC.

Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.

Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I'm committed to beginning that effort. It is now my full time job. The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It's been humbling. I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love. I thank them for their patience and grace.

NBC News execs met with a female employee Monday evening after receiving her complaint, according to The New York Times. This prompted "serious review," Chairman Andrew Lack said in a statement on Wednesday. The findings led them to conclude that Lauer had violated the company's standards. Lack's statement also indicated that NBC News believed there may have been other incidents; in the wake of the news, additional allegations did indeed come to light.

The show has gone on without Lauer. His "Today" co-anchor Savannah Guthrie has continued to do her job, with fellow "Today" host Hoda Kobt taking over Lauer's chair for at least the time being.

[via: CNBC]



from Moviefone News RSS Feed - Moviefone.com http://ift.tt/2BnKB3A
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment