Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Chris Evans Says He'll Retire After His Marvel Contract Expires

chris evans retirement

He's hinted before that he might need a break after he finishes playing Captain America, but now Chris Evans has said that he wants to retire from acting altogether once his Marvel contract expires.



Evans, who's set to appear in his third Marvel flick, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," on April 4, said in a new interview with Variety that he's simply burnt out from his super commitment to the superhero, and that he wants to focus on his new passion: directing. He recently helmed his first feature, a low-budget love story called "1:30 Train."



"I've known for a while I wanted to direct," Evans told the trade. "But (time) never really opens up. There's another movie to do, there's another acting job. It just got to a point where I was like, you know what -- I have to do this."



The actor is contractually obligated to star in three more Marvel films (his original contact -- which he turned down -- wanted him to star in nine total flicks for the studio), and is set to start shooting next year's "Avengers" sequel, "Age of Ultron," in London once he finishes his press tour for "Winter Soldier." It's an exhausting schedule, Evans said, and he'd rather put his time and energy into directing going forward.



"If I'm acting at all, it's going to be under Marvel contract, or I'm going to be directing," he told Variety. "I can't see myself pursuing acting strictly outside of what I'm contractually obligated to do."



Still, Evans knows that he's been lucky to carry Steve Rogers's shield, acknowledging, "Without these movies, I wouldn't be directing."



"They gave me enough overseas recognition to greenlight a movie," he said. "And if I'm speaking extremely candidly, it's going to continue to do that for as long as the Marvel contract runs."



And, like any Hollywood type, Evans said he may change his mind about retirement someday -- though for now, he's sure about his decision.



"For all I know, in five years, I might say, 'Sh*t, I miss acting,'" he said. "Right now, I just want to get behind the camera and make movies."



Photo by Francois Durand/Getty Images





from The Moviefone Blog http://ift.tt/1jEw8l5

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment