Monday, October 27, 2014

Christopher Meloni on 'White Bird in a Blizzard,' '80s Moustaches, and Playing the Lonely Guy



Most of us know Christopher Meloni for his "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" role, Elliott Stabler -- a gruff, no-nonsense cop who often had a short fuse. In Gregg Araki's latest film, "White Bird in a Blizzard," Meloni tackles a different beast.



In the movie, Meloni plays Brock Connor, your average suburban husband with a good suit, a good job, a good wife (Eva Green) and a good daughter (Shailene Woodley). But at some point along the way, things turn sour and his wife transforms into a cold, bitter woman who lashes out at him every time he utters a word.



As a result, Brock becomes sullen and meek. One day, when his wife just disappears, his entire life is thrown into upheaval. "White Bird in a Blizzard" sees Meloni like we've never seen him before: subservient and beaten down. Moviefone Canada chatted with the actor about working out of his comfort zone, and his thoughts on Eva Green's tremendously unhinged performance.



Moviefone Canada: How did you get involved in this project?

Christopher Meloni: They sent me the script, and I loved this character. I'm a big Gregg Araki fan, so I was more than happy to do it.



I know this is based on a book. Did you read it beforehand?

You know, I didn't. I'm starting to think, maybe I made a mistake! But I really enjoyed and/or appreciated Gregg's interpretation on the page. I didn't want to screw with that ... double-up imageries and stuff like that. I liked what the script was saying to me.



Brock is a very straight-laced, monotone type of character. Was that more of a challenge for you, or was it actually easier to play?

What was difficult for me was a character who's so lonely. I saw him as a a drowning man. A starving man who can't find food. He couldn't find the answers so he just continued to deny his unhappiness.



I felt so badly for him! You just want to reach through the screen and help him out. Eva Green's character is vicious to him.

[Laughs] Yeah, she was good.



She's a force.

She's fantastic. She was fun because off the set she had this beautiful, sly sense of humour. And then she'd do her thing on film and I ... still saw the humour. I got the biggest kick out of her. It was such a crazy dynamic.



How was working with Shailene Woodley?

She gets straight As. She's lovely to be around. She's her own girl, very clear about her intentions, very open to playing the role. Just a nice presence to be around.



"Suburban darkness" is something I kept thinking throughout the movie. Did the concept of suburbia inform your performance at all?

It has supreme relevance to me. I've never connected or felt at home in the suburbs. If I'm not in New York or L.A., then I guess I want to be far, far away.



Let's talk about your character's moustache.

[Laughs] When I read the script, the first thing I saw was this moustache. Gregg was very cute. He kind of tiptoed around it, and he goes, "You know, would you mind terribly kind of maybe the moustache?" I laughed and I said, "It's OK, Gregg, I'm growing one."



I always saw that moustache as his tip of the hat. You saw it in Playboy magazine and wanted it. Magnum P.I., Tom Selleck. You're cool.



"White Bird in a Blizzard" is now playing in select theatres.







Christopher Meloni on Working with Shailene Woodley





from The Moviefone Blog http://news.moviefone.ca/2014/10/27/christopher-meloni-white-bird-in-a-blizzard-interview/

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment