Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Who Leaked Quentin Tarantino's 'Hateful Eight' Script?


quentin tarantino hateful eight script



Someone leaked a first draft of Quentin Tarantino's script for "The Hateful Eight," and boy is he angry.



Tarantino rang up Deadline yesterday to give them the scoop on the leak and was fuming mad. "I'm very, very depressed... I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn't mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it's gotten out today," he said.



It seems like Tarantino is shelving it as a movie and hopes to publish it first, though not ruling out making it as a film some day. "I could totally change my mind; I own the f***ing thing. But I can tell you, it's not going to be the next thing I do. It's my baby, and if the muse calls me later to do it, we'll do it. I was thinking about the idea of maybe publishing it before I made it, but now that deal happens for sure, and I'm not doing it next."



It seems as though the real problem isn't just that it leaked, but that it was an early draft that he shared with so few people. "I gave it to one of the producers on 'Django Unchained,' Reggie Hudlin, and he let an agent come to his house and read it...That's a betrayal, but not crippling because the agent didn't end up with the script. There is an ugly maliciousness to the rest of it.



"I gave it to three actors: Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth. The one I know didn't do this is Tim Roth. One of the others let their agent read it, and that agent has now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood. I don't know how these f***ing agents work, but I'm not making this next. I'm going to publish it, and that's it for now. I give it out to six people, and if I can't trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. I'll publish it. I'm done. I'll move on to the next thing. I've got 10 more where that came from."



As Drew McWeeny at HitFix points out, this isn't the first time one of Tarantino's scripts has leaked, and they've begun leaking faster and faster -- perhaps faster (and more out of his hands) than Tarantino would like.



McWeeny wrote, "When Tarantino was gearing up on 'Kill Bill,' he made a conscious decision to court the Internet. We were at a screening in Austin when he walked up, set the just-finished script on a table in front of Harry Knowles, and told him to enjoy the read. Before that film was even half finished, that script was everywhere, so much so that when the film was released, fans were upset that there were chapters cut out and substantial pieces reworked."



Fans are bummed out, especially those who are excited to see Bruce Dern as part of a Tarantino ensemble. We can hope that Tarantino will change his mind, especially since it doesn't sound like folks who usually snap up leaked scripts have seen it floating around.



As Mr. Blonde said in "Reservoir Dogs," "Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie? Or are you gonna bite?" Well, now we know.





from The Moviefone Blog http://ift.tt/1fcaFgX

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment